Urgent Warning Released By Father Whose Son Was Injured By Famous Toy

Fidget Spinners Might Be More Dangerous Than We Thought

While the fidget spinner craze might be dying down, the safety dangers of the trendy toys are only just coming out now. With the popularity of fidget spinners having no sign of slowing down, many parents are worried that kids and teenagers might be injured by the seemingly innocuous toy.

The vast majority of commercial fidget spinners use ball bearing chambers to create weighted revolutions. Initially, fidget spinners were designed for use with children suffering behavioral problems, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, and autism.

For this reason, many parents believe that the spinning devices are extremely safe for children. Now, at least one parent, John Harris, has taken to Facebook and YouTube to voice his concerns about the product and its potential misuse.

According to the Tribunist, Mr. Harris’ son was using a fidget spinner close to his face when the small toy exploded into a mass of plastic shards and metal ball bearings. In Mr. Harris’ Facebook post, the father revealed that the toy exploded after he had the bright idea to use compressed air to make his son’s fidget spinner revolve faster.

Mr. Harris originally got the idea from other parents and kids on YouTube. In an emotional post, Mr. Harris described what happened when he started using compressed air with the toy:

“I know this post isn’t gonna be easy for some to look at, but I felt it necessary. This was caused from playing with a fidget spinner and compressed air (air compressor) spraying across it. I was holding the spinner and the air hose when it happened.

We had been playing with it for a while and all of a sudden the plastic on the fidget spinner exploded. We are at the ER now waiting to have stitches. I am sharing so no one else has the same stupid idea that I had. We were lucky it missed his eyes. It could have been much worse.”

Shortly after Mr. Harris uploaded the post, it began to feature in parenting websites and blogs, and quickly went viral. Within days, the post had racked up over 300,000 shares and hundreds of comments.

After being admitted to see doctors, the medical professionals told Mr. Harris that his son would require more than 30 stitches around his mouth, nose, and neck. Considering how prolific fidget spinners have become, this story should serve as a lesson to any parents who are thinking of modifying or misusing their child’s fidget spinner.

In a similar story, a young boy from Sydney, Australia, had to be rushed to the emergency ward after one of the discs in his fidget spinner flew down his throat.

While the young boy has since been discharged, his worried mother has also voiced her concerns her concerns on Facebook, writing: “Parents of fidget spinners beware … our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night & ended up at RNSH Emergency,” the mum wrote.

“The side of the spinner was cracked & when he spun it, the disc flew into his mouth & before he realized, he swallowed it! He had it for less than 48 hours. Ours is now in the bin & just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things. He has to pass it within 2 days or we’re looking at alternative methods of extraction.”

Source: Mommy Page
Photo: New Yorker, Abrozzi

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *